Friday, June 17, 2016

A self-driving nightmare

Like many of my contemporaries I can't wait to see self-driving automobiles hit the market, at least in time for the dreaded day when I can no longer get my driver's license renewed.

This said, last night I had my first nightmare on the topic. I was driving a rented SUV when, for some strange reasons, I forgot to get behind the wheel and the vehicle left without me.

Somehow, a car offered me a ride in the foolish hope that I could rejoin my runaway SUV, but we just couldn't catch up with it. After miles of pursuit, the driver-less auto hit a shoulder and started rolling over into the drop, below.

This sure woke me up; it was about 2 am. I was wondering how I would handle this with the rental car company; at the moment, I was still half-asleep and couldn't quite make sense of what had happened and it's only in the morning, as a woke up again, that I questioned why in hell I had the terrible idea of renting a self-driving auto?

No comments: