Thursday, September 1, 2016

Mt. Timpanogos' postman...

Climbing to the top of Mt. Timpanogos seems like a long, late-summer tradition as I have performed the climb several time. Yesterday was my 9th time and it was the 4th time for my daughter.

My wife and I started the climb in 1995 and this is a grueling hike that I have always enjoyed. I have chronicled this climb in 2012, 2014 and 2015.

Last year, we met a 73 year-old man who had climbed the mountain several hundred times. He almost does it everyday in summer and this year, we once more ran into him. This time he was 74 and had ascended Mt. Timp (as most people call it) some 837 times!

Ben Woolsey is a retired postal worker from Orem (near Provo, Utah) who makes the 15-mile round trip hike up to the summit of Mt. Timpanogos three to six times per week during the hiking season.

Over the years Ben has become a familiar face on the mountain, earning the nickname “That Guy,” meaning "that guy" that is always hiking Timp. Ben is an inspiring character whose performance leaves absolutely no room for excuse or complains for all of us who are his juniors!


No comments: