Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Freedom from religion

When I was a kid and even a youngster, I strongly felt that religion was shackling me. I resented its dogma, its demands and I hated all the guilt and the negative experience it brought me.

It had poisoned the well of my early existence and it took years for me to separate its influence from my life.

Today, when I ask myself “who am I?”, my definition is not being an agnostic or an atheist, but a Humanist. That life philosophy embraces human reason, ethics, social justice, and philosophical naturalism while rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, pseudoscience and superstition as the bases of morality and decision making.

In other words I believe I can be ethical and moral without religion or believing in deities. From where I came from, this feels quite liberating and helps me see the world clearly and find a comfortable place within nature and the human community.

No comments: