Saturday, February 4, 2017

My best ski boots, ever!

Over its span, my ski life has been marked by a large and variable amount of foot discomfort. It started when I began to ski with the regular leather shoes I used everyday when I first stepped on my Dad's made skis at age 7.

Then I think I got a pair of dedicated leather, laced ski boots when I was 12 or so, with my first pair of Duret skis. My next momentous step in the ski boot universe world happened when my brother Gaston and I bought each a pair of lace-up Molitor boots from Switzerland that we brought home illegally, across the mountains.

After these boots, came my first pair of Lange boots, followed by some Trappeur plastic boots, before some Nordica, Dolomite and Lange again (when I joined the company).

When I became the U.S. Distributor of Koflach boots, it was only right that I skied in the product and shortly thereafter I relapsed into Lange, until I tore my Achilles tendon a decade ago and went to a three-piece shell made by DalBello.

I stayed true to that value-priced boot until this fall when I slipped my foot into a pair of Nordica NXT which hugged me like I never felt before, without the least pressure point, in spite of their less than racing flex.

You got it: “Love at first fit”, with only one problem: Getting in these boots is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and getting out feels like giving birth. I know, each rose has its thorns!

No comments: