Thursday, August 25, 2022

Dealing (better) with the unexpected

I’m not talking here about being told that I’ve won $2 million at the lottery, but instead about all the bad surprises that fall on us at the very last minute, when we expect them the least, and are generally an unpleasant, bad surprise. 

I generally don’t take these events as well as I should and based on that disheartening reality, I’ve decided to do something about it. First, I need to remember that I must learn to accept a bad reality. It’s part of life and is unavoidable. 

I must also remember that change is the fabric of life. It’s in these moment that my positive attitude becomes a rocket booster. Sometime one bad thing could be a blessing in disguise and trigger some happy consequences.

It’s also a good lesson for learning to systematically always making an alternate plan, in case the main one fails. I must also control my emotions, wait long enough before blurting out and I must take time to examine what happened and put it into perspective. 

That’s the moment to ask myself if the bad outcome is irreversible or if can be fixed and if so, how, then think constructively where I’m going from there. I also need to be less rigid in my life and make room for changes no matter how small they are so they becomes a lifelong habit. 

I should also always focus on the present moment, instead of thinking about what I’ve lost, about the past, or dwelling on how bad the situation is, even if that require more emotional detachment than I’m capable of. 

All this and my daily meditation should help me clear the bump that looked like a mountain and panicked me. If someone can do it, I should!

No comments: