Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Differentiating between Goals and Objectives

I just finished reading “Illogical” by Emmanuel Acho. A best-selling self-help book targeted at the young people (like me?) trying to figure out their path in life. 

Among a few “nuggets” contained in that otherwise “feel-good” reading, I landed on what ought to be the difference between goals and objective, but since the crux of it was neither well explained nor developed by the author, I was forced to research the subject further. 

First, I must admit that I have been using both words interchangeably without even bothering to find out if they were distinctly different, so it was a good opportunity to educate myself on their meaning. I started to get some insight from the textbook definition of the two actions: 

A goal is an achievable outcome that is generally broad and long-term while an objective defines measurable actions to achieve the overall goal. To put is simply, a series of objective can be a mean to achieving a goal. As most of us know, setting goals and objectives helps achieve some desired results. 

This is a long way from the definition I deducted from the book I was referring to, so I’m glad I checked! While both are important, goals and objectives differ when it comes to the specific actions one should take. 

To start with goals, they come in three main types: time-bound, for setting timely actions, outcome-oriented that are focused on the end result, and process-oriented to address the way we should carry them out. Sometime, when time is tight, a goal may incorporate all three types. 

Objective also come in three types, they can be strategic in nature that is purpose driven, they can also take a tactical form focused on short-term deliverables and their results, and finally, they can be operational contributing to daily, weekly or monthly goals.

That seems a bit complicated while in fact it’s fairly simple, but we have made the whole story look that way by mixing them goals and objective like tangled up twine...

No comments: