Thursday, August 18, 2022

Mega house in the making

Just above our home was a residence purchased a decade ago and that has been kept unused until last month when was taken down to make place for a construction twice its original size, that will literaly swallow the half-an-acre lot it sits on.

Last night, as we were walking by it, we were stunned by the huge mountain of dirt that had accumulated next to the road to make room for its huge McMansion foundations. 

There we met its young owner, in awe, looking at the massive undertaking. He appeared to be a very nice guy. He and his wife, with no kids, will telecommute from this place when it’s completed in the Fall of 2023. 

I was reflecting, what is that guy thinking on the dawn of what should be the age of frugality? Isn’t a house like that one totally unsustainable, making a waste of too many scarce resources? 

That’s when I remembered that I probably was his age with I build what my wife and I came to call the “big stupid house” for exactly the same reasons of placing a tangible marker in the ground to show the rest of the world that we “had arrived.” 

Isn’t it stupid how history keeps on repeating itself?

No comments: