Friday, December 30, 2022

Skiing in the rain!

While dancing in the rain made Fred Astaire famous there’s nothing exciting in doing this for real. The same of course holds true for skiing. 

I’ve taught skiing in the rain while I was in Australia and, trust me, it wasn’t fun. Winter rain used to be extremely rare in Park City, but more recently it’s been poking its head and reminded us that global warming is no fake news and is being played in a theater closer to us. 

It’s absolutely true that the snow limit is steadily rising and the best proof of this is to witness what is happening in the French Alps this Holiday season, with half of the ski resorts being closed because of mild weather. The terrible conditions are messing up the lives of 400,000 French people who make a living through skiing. 

The video below is from today in Les Gets, a resort close to my hometown situated at 3,845 high (1170 meters) where skiers are sliding down remnant of ski slopes under a pouring rain. 

This scene makes me fear terribly for the future of skiing and reminds me that I need to ski this afternoon at Park City before it’s too late!


No comments: