Friday, December 2, 2022

The high cost of giving up

About one week ago, conditions at my preferred ski spot weren’t perfect. The snow was a bit tricky to ski and I didn’t feel in total control and in perfect shape, this was after run #1 under Ninety-Nine 90 towers. 

The second and third runs weren’t much better either, and I was wondering if I shouldn’t call it a day and go home, before I fell or get hurt. 

Yet, I was there, the skies were blue, the snow not so bad, so I persevered a bit and persevered a little bit more and soon I had racked eleven runs on what is arguably one of the most demanding area of Park City Mountain. 

At the end, everything had fallen into place, I was elated and I valued the power of persistence over the horrible temptation of quitting. 

Giving up is always a lot easier than sticking to a task we don’t have quite a big appetite for, but as the French like to say, “l’appétit vient en mangeant” (eating does stimulate the appetite)...

No comments: