Friday, May 22, 2009

Cumbersome load

Yesterday was one of these days when we went beyond the normal and quickly escalated into the incredible and the surreal. We were at Home Depot in the hope of finding some material that could wrap around some long pipes running under our deck and requiring insulation. To make a long story short we finally found two 12 foot long, 25 inch wide, corrugated plastic sheets, that we now needed to bring home.

At first, I thought I'd make the quick 6 mile trip home, install my car-roof cross-bars and return to the store to pick up and carry the cumbersome items, then I had the “better idea” of sliding both sheets into the open sunroof, backing them into the rear of my station-wagon. The idea sounded good, we managed to slide the two corrugated monsters into the car, with one-third of them sticking out into the air. As we got in motion, a gusty wind started to blow into the 50 inch unintended sail that stuck out in the air requiring the driver and his passenger to solidly grab the plates.

At some point and at a low speed of 40 miles per hour, I thought we were cleared for take off and we'd be flying home; that was until the sheets folded under the pressure and now stuck vertically out of the sunroof, looking like a perfect sail. Still desperately holding to our cargo we manage to drive the distance home under the incredulous glance of other motorists and even a cop standing by the side of the road. We made it, unloaded our merchandise that in less than 2 minutes came back to its original shape and was ready for installation. Once more, we just had successfully dealt with the impossible!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see
if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she
can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she
has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share
it with someone!

Feel free to surf to my blog post ... bet angel