Sunday, May 24, 2009

Is snow melting faster?

I've come to believe that snow is melting faster these days than it used to, regardless of the snowfalls. I also suspect that I know the reason for that faster melting rate; snow is much dirtier than it used to be. More pollution, more particles from more countries and more people are contributing to much dirtier snowfields that melt faster than ever before.

No direct relation with global warming, but just a “side-effect.” As everyone knows, the dirtier the snow, the faster it goes since it absorbs much more of the sun's energy. Since this is just a theory, my very own in fact, I was wondering if someone has ever thought the same way, written or published a paper about it or simply believe that I must be on the right track? I wasn't unable to find anything myself, so I wanted to open another “can of worms” and let them further soil the snow. Feedback, please!

No comments: