Monday, May 18, 2009

First time AT skiing...

Believe it or not, yesterday was my very first time out on my new alpine touring gear. For this lifetime's premiere, I picked an easy route; climbing alongside Deer Valley's Empire chairlift for a total 1,270 feet vertical gain.
All went well except that the exercise got the very best out of me. One-third of the way up, I was already exhausted, my heart racing into the “red zone.” Is it that I'd be woefully out of shape or no longer 20 years old? Sweating like a bull under the generous spring sun, I finally made it to the top 75 minutes later, half-dead and fully “out of juice.” I skied down Daly Chutes and my skis “borrowed” from my wife felt a bit “wobbly” throughout their 167 cm, but nonetheless held me up. My skins did a great job, my alpine boots worked perfectly and hinted that I didn't need to invest another $500 into a special pair of “AT boots.” I'll definitely do it again, but that won't be today!

No comments: