Monday, March 14, 2011

Breaking up apathy

This year will be the opportunity to celebrate my 45th High School Reunion, but it seems that there is not much energy or enthusiasm left for that. It could be that some of my former classmates think that waiting another five year for the big 5-0 might constitutes somehow a worthwhile delay. For my part, I remain quite pragmatic and fear that many of my old buddies may no longer be with us or may be so physically impaired or psychologically demotivated that sooner would be preferable to later. Since I live a continent away, I would like to plan, get my airline ticket in advance and prepare my trip so it doesn't become a last minute dash to the airport. I need some lead time and want to prepare, but it seems to me that the rest of the group doesn't need nor want anything anymore.

Call this apathy, terminal comfort or anything nicer if you want. Many of them would like to get together very close to home, so the whole production is much more convenient. I was thinking of a different region of France, like Brittany, Alsace or Corsica. I was told that if we were to meet too far away from Cluses, France, no one would come, but my sense is that out of a group of seventy, the same “usual suspects” will end up showing up, no matter where the reunion takes place. Today, I'm asking all of these people if they really want to do it; that seems to be question number one. Then, we'll decide where we might want to get together and for how long. That will be step number two. Finally, if and when we reach a consensus, it will be up to me to decide if the whole affair justifies the 15 hours of air travel that come with it...

1 comment:

William Bocq said...

Apathy or lack of interest? Many of us were not that close to begin with, and then we drifted apart. Aside from the few "usual suspect" as you described them, who, for 5 years shared the same dormitory for some 10 months a year, most of the others were merely "acquaintances." And of those "US" how many are left?
And these have their problems, families (often the same thing), new circles of friends. Do many of them really want to travel to meet the bunch of old farts we have become? ...And work to organize it?
Let's just organize it in Park City or Tucson (I like Tucson) and see who will come;)