Thursday, March 17, 2011

If I had a second career...

Last night, one of my many dreams that I could remember was that I was offered a bottom-of-the-heap job with my last employer, with the promise that I would climb back the ladder as soon as better gigs would open and of course that I could perform at least as I well as I used to do. I accepted the offer.

This of course, was traumatic enough to wake me up and started me thinking on how I would accomplish my last job if I were indeed able to get it back. I began to self-examine my former approach and my past performance. In view of what I concluded was a rather poor execution on my part, I decided that I would take a zero-base approach to what was required to grow the business, get much more conversations going with the people that worked with me and for me, be much better at getting their input and their ideas and also adapt their actions based on their abilities instead of using a “one-size-fits-all” approach.

What was also revealing was that I would do less programs because I thought they were cool and I liked them, but instead pursue specific plans that would “move the needle.” So you've got it: More feedback and less ego. Boy, am I ready for that position!

No comments: