Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Skiing “au naturel”

No I'm not talking about skiing in the nude as the expression most often implies; that would be far too cold and I absolutely couldn't take a chance to fall or have a “brush” with a small tree in that minimal attire. I'm talking instead about the expression's other meanings, like “naturally, or “...in the plainest or simplest manner.” Under these circumstances, I love to ski “au naturel,” that is on a natural ski terrain, one that has not – or only marginally – been modified or enhanced by man.
For instance, I rediscovered last week that skiing on “schizophrenic” wooded chutes, like Condor Woods or Deshutes at Canyons is something I still love to do. I also crave on skiing 9990 there or Deer Valley's Daly Chutes. Don't get me wrong, I will ski on corduroy and groomed run now and again, but that's far from being my cup of tea. I'd rather ski crud on natural terrain or even some bumps, but I don't think you'll ever see me inside a half-pipe or riding on rails. That's far too “man-made” for me, and beside I could really hurt myself on one of these!

No comments: