Friday, March 25, 2011

When quality demands more time

I'm currently in the midst of a small project that is complicated, has many moving parts and that I would like to bring to a point that satisfies me. I find the whole process incredibly time consuming, but at the same time, I appreciate the learning experience that it brings and without all that time spent, I feels that it couldn't be nearly as good. A perfect illustration of the law of diminishing returns and of the maturing process that can only take place if we leave enough time for these principles to work.

Even though that work is not going to change the world in the smallest extent, I want it to be right. It's a reflection of what I'm capable of doing and I also want to see how much better it will get with some more maturation. I particularly like a concept of qualitative versus quantitative growth as a new paradigm for humanity and really feel that it's not a utopia. To me, it's something that we all have at our fingertips, but often are too lazy to making it happen...

1 comment:

William Bocq said...

Not that I disagree with the concept, and I understand it, but it does not work for me. It usually takes 20% of the time to accomplish 80% of the work and 80% of the time to complete the last 20% (diminishing returns indeed). I just don't have the patience for the last details, life is too short. That is especially true in the planning process: planning the details takes for ever and experience has shown that the first victim of the battle is the plan itself. To me, "le mieux est l'ennemi du bien," the devil is in the details, etc. (funny how you can find a saying for any circumstance).
Be well
Bill