Sunday, March 20, 2011

What's in a name?

Canyons, a nearby ski area has a black run called “Yard Sale.” In ski parlance, this means a major fall in which skiers get separated from their skis, poles, headgear, goggles and major credit cards, the whole scattered or spread out across a large area, resembling a traditional yard sale.
This particular run, while challenging, is not as bad as its name may suggest, and because of its south-eastern orientation is best skied right after a snowfall or while the skies are overcast. One of my favorite run at Canyons and one in which I certainly do everything in my power to prevent a personal “yard sale!”

1 comment:

William Bocq said...

And a well named event it is. While I still encounter occurrences where I get separated from my skis by varying distances (at least once a season), your post reminded me of a particularly grudging one many years ago. It was in the Couloir du Brevent, the one just on the south side of that mountain above Chamonix, before the more tame route was opened through the forest. An unexpected bump sent me flying right at the top of the couloir. Obviously, the first seconds were fine: no contact with the ground. Then rolls, slide, bump and 200 feet later saw me minus skis, poles, sun glasses, hat, gloves ... and minus one shoe! It was my first pair of snap closed ski boots and I guess I had not mastered the snap thing yet. The real struggle was to climb back and gather everything (I did find everything). The problem in these yard sales is that you never find all your stuff in the right order.
Your posts are a real time machine, and bring me back in time.
Thanks, my friend,
Bill