Sunday, March 27, 2011

Relapse...

About one year ago, I took part into the “NatoConnect” a turbo-charged version of the Utah Interconnect and thought that I would die as I climbed a succession of nasty, steep hills. Even though I had initially promised to stay away from that self-destructive even, I couldn't resist and signed-up when I was offered to participate once more, this season. This year's edition would be packed with unforeseen events; the first took place on a chairlift; as we loaded it, my ski tip caught the snow, I fell over and took my friend and fellow passenger down with me, breaking his two poles and twisting his knee...
If the poles were a total loss, his knee was only bruised, but we could only accomplish a fraction of our voyage as the avalanche danger was such that the mountain passes we were supposed to cross were closed to skiers. We returned to Park City through hurricane strength winds that almost took us all away. It sure managed to tear a third pole away from my hapless friend but all we made it okay and survived. Since the there were only two severe climbs this year, I took my time and managed to reach the top without stressing to much. Will there a “to be continued” to this story? We'll see next year...

No comments: