Monday, March 28, 2011

Meet Santiago...


Yesterday, as I was skiing under the Lady Morgan chairlift in Deer Valley, Utah, I noticed a ski instructor who was taking advantage of the new foot of powder snow received overnight. I don't see many of them skiing solo these days; it seems that the vast majority are in the business only for the money. I rode the chair up with him, we chatted a bit and asked if I could follow him to make a video. He agreed, and soon he launched into the Centennial Trees at full speed.

The young Argentinian from Bariloche, probably noticed that I was an old geezer and that he could smoke me in no time into that steep maze of huge pine trees and aspens. Ten turns into the downhill however, and a bit to my surprise, he took a big spill. I helped him getting back up on his skis, dusted him off and we resumed our hi-tempo forest descent. He stopped soon thereafter to catch his breath and we finally made it safely to the bottom of the lift. A bit shocked, he said “you're a very good skier.” I answered “This happens to me sometimes...” Santiago who was half my age made my day!

No comments: