Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pushing a bit faster...

As you may know, I've been running for most than thirty years and it might be fair to say that over that long period of time, my performance has steadily been on the decline. Its peak might have been reached when I was participating in 10k races in the early eighties and I remember that I had been clocked around 39 minutes. That was about 6 minutes and 18 second per mile. About 15 to 20 year ago, our next door neighbor was telling us that we were running very slow and that he wasn't impressed. We understood, but did nothing about it; the man wasn't a runner, so how could he make any comments about us?

This week I ran several days alone as my spouse was nursing a bronchitis; that's when I began to put “the pedal to the metal” and realized over a two or three days that I could significantly improve my speed if I applied myself to it. As we still have snow on parts of our running route, we'll wait till the white stuff is totally gone to undertake some serious improvement on our running performance; for sure not to break any record, but at least to stave off our constant and insidious physical decline!

No comments: