Monday, May 1, 2017

Age, cold, visibility and deep snow...

Last Friday, I made the great decision to jump over the canyons and ski Snowbird. Wonderful idea, since the resort had just received 8 to 10 inches of new snow which would stay good all day under cold and stormy weather.

Indeed, it was just freezing but except for a slight frostbite on the chin, I stood up the blistering wind. Was wasn't so good though was the visibility that was almost nil and which combined with my fair knowledge of the mountain made me improvise a lot and hope for the best.
Then to add insult to injury, there was all that deep snow that had to be moved around, and after I had racked up 23,000 feet vertical in 9 non-stop laps on Peruvian chair, it was time for me to drive back home.

When I got into the house, my wife said that I looked like the living dead. “Must be the age”, I replied.

No comments: