Saturday, May 23, 2020

My biggest regret?

I don’t have many regrets, but if I had to pick one that importantly affected my life, I would say that it was my lack of focus and dedication when I was in 6th, 7th and 8th grades.

In these critical first years of middle school, I did absolutely nothing and didn’t lose three years, but four as I had to redo 8th grade. To this day, I still can’t explain why I was so aimless and lazy at school. For one thing, I was not mature at all.

Also, I wouldn’t or couldn’t admit that I wouldn’t understand concepts and dug a deeper and deeper hole for myself by not asking for help early enough into the process. This said, even if I had asked, it’s not certain that there would have been someone available to step in and help me.

This was a terrible and traumatic experience and I also blame the fact that I had no one to guide or coach me, based on my behavior and my dismal results. Would some help have worked? Perhaps, but again, it’s hard to say so with any certainty.

Was it my destiny? I hope not. In retrospect, I’m certain that I wasted the most important resource that I was given, that is the combination of time and ability to learn, but again who will ever know? When all is said and done, it can only be answered by the question?
Would I be happier now if I had follow the path I’m describing here? The answer is “Probably not much more, and perhaps, not as much”. Another great score in the “No regrets” category!

No comments: