Friday, July 24, 2020

Long lost tune…

For years, I have been trying to find the title to an instrumental piece of music that I particularly liked, but not knowing its title, I was at a loss to find it again.

For me as for many folks, music evokes certain memories and important times in life. That tune was played at Isba, ma favorite hometown disco in Morzine, back in the winter of 1967 when I was a beginning ski instructor dancing and having a good time with my female students.

I remember hearing it again one day while I was shopping for appliances at a large supermarket in Nevers, France, as I had just moved to that God-forsaken place. Since that time, I never heard it again and always wondered what it was.

Since I’m not one who gives up easily, I searched by mean of music recognition app, to no avail. I even asked a friend of mine who is a talented saxophone player to tell me what it was after I made a (poor) scat rendition of it, but he couldn’t not identify it either.

Yesterday though, through pure luck, I stumbled upon it and discovered that it was called "Wonderland by Night" played by Bert Kaempfert. My long lasting and stubborn efforts finally felt highly rewarded!

No comments: