Monday, July 6, 2020

Racism and human origin...

While Trump and his ignorant supporters are not just thinking, but rather chanting “White Power!”, I never quite forget that my my own whiteness might be much darker than what’s just visible below my underwear.

This is a reality I can easily live with. I have no problem with my black ancestors and through the current wave of anti-racism protests in the United States and the rest of the world, I always do my best to remember that humankind’s birthplace is somewhere in Africa, where paleoanthropologist Donald Johanson discovered our “Mom” Lucy in 1974, at Hadar, in the Awash Valley of the Afar Triangle in Ethiopia.

That view changed around 2013, when Rick Hunter and Steve Tucker located a place near Johannesburg, South Africa, in what has now become the “Cradle of Humankind”, with Homo naledi as its poster boy.

Of course, you can think, that it’s very easy to be so open-minded in a place like Park City with a population that's 110% white.

True, yet that shouldn’t prevent me from thinking through racism, before working at reforming and reconstructing some of my outdated paradigms!

No comments: