Friday, July 17, 2020

When memory plays tricks on me…

Around the middle of the week, as I was riding our road bikes in the cool early morning, with my wife, my eyes caught a patch of snow still left on the Park City ridge-lines.

While I knew exactly which peak the left over snow was, I couldn’t remember the name. In addition, the Peak as also a name same called ?-bowl, off Jupiter chairlift, but again, I couldn’t get the name. I knew it was short, simple and began either with an A, a G or a S.

During the 20 miles ride my mind was totally occupied, if not obsessed with finding that so obvious name, but to no avail. I refused to look at a trail map, hoping that the solution would eventually come to me.

It finally did, early in the evening when I suddenly exclaimed Scott Peak! Scott Bowl! I’ve been told that with age, my brain is forming fewer connections and that my memory is no longer what it used to be.

In fact, I’ve also been told that the processing speed of my brain is slowing down, which seems to be the “official explanation” why I can't retrieve information as quickly as I used to.

I thought it was that my disk was full, but that’s a bit presumptuous of me to claim excess knowledge! This said, since I regularly meditate, my memory has worked much better, except in that odd case.

Perhaps I should get a new powerful, state-of-the-art, Intel chip as a replacement to my vintage brain?

No comments: