Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Park City’s good Samaritans

We were about to have another wonderful bike ride this morning, until half-way in our itinerary I experienced a flat. I don’t know about you, but I despise having flats when I ride.

So, here I am, taking the rear wheel apart, struggling to separate the tire from the tube, other cyclists very nicely stopping to ask if I needed help, a proud, self-reliant “no thanks!” as an answer, then more struggle in trying to fit the tube inside the tire and the whole assembly inside the rim. I then proceeded to inflate the repaired tire with my measly, portable pump.

A passing motorist must have seen me battling my bike, returned to where I was, riding his electric bike with a heavy-duty foot pump in hand, just saying “That’ll be a lot easier with this one!”

A lot easier it was, and in much less time it would have otherwise taken me, I had put 90 psi inside the tire. All this to say that I found it very much heartwarming to see so many folks stop, asking if I needed help, and that one man, who didn’t ask for anything, return expressly to help me with a wonderful solution.

This makes me think that my Parkite neighbors are terrific, we are lucky to live there, and that I must double-down in returning such a good deed!

No comments: