Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Bad skiing moves and muscle memory

After watching enough Alpine World Cup ski races, I can see that a great many top athletes forget that turning on the inside ski doesn’t work too well. 

This is the typical element that not just the Olympians fail to remember, but also the rest of us. It shows how hard it is to sear into muscle memory moves that are counter-intuitive. 

Just like pivoting the pelvic bones into a turn, we must constantly make a conscious effort to remind ourselves of these key to functionality and not fall into the lazy, hurry or desperate ways of simply leaning inside to produce a turn. 

This is why, even into my 70th season of skiing, I need to always remember that my moves are technically sound and well prepare, so don’t despair, between the Croatian racer pictured here, you and me, we better keep that in mind in order to stay away form this sneaky skiing epidemic!

No comments: