Thursday, March 2, 2023

Keeping my skiing in focus

This past Friday was another snow day, so after blowing and shoveling my driveway, I went skiing in the afternoon. 

At first, I thought the visibility was terrible, flat light and the like, so while skiing, there was delayed feedback from the terrain, something not pleasant and not so good for my old frame. 

Yet, beyond these poor light conditions, I also couldn’t see skiers very well in the far distance but I thought that my goggles were probably less than crystal clean and left the situation at that. 

So, I skied and skied in 10 to 12 inches of fresh, light powder, into steep couloirs, and in cool spots I’d never skied before, just made possible by of our generous snow cover. At the end of the afternoon the skies cleared up and the experience became just out of this world. I skied aggressively and fast while conveniently forgetting that my vision was far from perfect. 

So I drove back home at the end of a great powder day and it’s only in the evening that, while watching TV, I wondered if I was seeing as sharply as I should. 

I went to the bathroom and there, realized by glancing at the counter that I forgot to put on the contact lens I use for seeing in the distance. 

This speaks volumes about the power of motivation and passion over physical limitations!

No comments: