Saturday, March 11, 2023

Clear skiing vision!

Nothing last forever and in particular the weatherproofing on ski goggle lenses. Not so long ago, I put my goggles gathering snow on the back of global warming when it should have been on that of normal wear and tear. 

In fact it wasn’t, it was just that the silicone coating of my now old goggles was gone and its protection rendered totally ineffective. I realized this when I was skiing with my daughter in a total blizzard. Her more recent and seldom used goggles were just fine while mine were splattered with big snowflake causing me to fall on one occasion! 

That’s when I saw I had a problem with them that I needed to address! That bad situation led me to research its cause and possible remedies. Instead of getting a new lens (hard for an older eye-wear model) or a new pair of goggles, I first zeroed-in on restoring a slick, protective coating. 

I read about using cat crap (yes!) or using baby shampoo and water, but what retained my attention was Rain-X, a synthetic hydrophobic surface-applied concoction that causes water (or wet snow) to bead up and run off automobile windshields, wiper blades and why not, eye-wear and while we’re at it, ski goggles. 

So rather than cheap cat crap, I went for that consumer product and in a few days, after I’ve skied in another blizzard, I’ll let you know if it worked or not and if so, how long it lasts!

No comments: