Thursday, March 9, 2023

Would I like to be black in America?

Last night, at dinner, we were shooting the breeze with my daughter who had come to visit us for a few days. 

Then, as the conversation drifted to racial issues she asked me, “How would you like to be black in America?” I didn’t need much time to think and went: “I wouldn’t like it.” 

Obviously, she followed up and asked me why and I said, “I wouldn’t worry so much about me, but more about my family and wonder what could happen to them in such a racist country and volatile political environment.” 

That’s when she said: “Thing won’t necessarily go that bad, with time, people are likely to open up and become much more inclusive…” 

I responded, “That’s possible as well as unlikely. Even tough, I’m profoundly optimistic, I’d give it a 50-50 chance, and time-wise, if it ever happens, real change will take many generations to shape up…” 

Yes, I wouldn’t want to be black in America.

No comments: