Monday, March 13, 2023

Gloves, ski poles and chain reaction!

This is the second chain reaction that I have experienced this winter. This one began with good intentions from me, as I was consolidating my glove inventory and attempting to turn two pairs of older ski gloves, with various degrees of wear, into a better one that I immediately stuffed into my ski helmet. 

The gloves were not exactly the same, but they looked close enough to me. This was a great idea until I went skiing with my daughter, got to the ski resort parking lot, and realized that I really had two gloves, but both fitting a same left hand! 

Not to discourage myself, I made the other glove fit my right hand by putting it backwards, with my thumb into the pinky spot, and the rest of my fingers in the remaining cavities. Holding my pole with the right hand fitted that way was quite awkward and extremely uncomfortable but I thought that it would be okay for only 3 to 4 hours of skiing.

I was wrong, it felt terrible and messed up my usually suave, relaxed and smooth skiing. About 30 minutes before the end of the afternoon, the extreme pressure and high tension my right hand exerted on the pole strap caused it to break and here I was with a long piece of that strap dangling aimlessly.
Yet, that wasn’t quite the end of it. As we boarded our last chairlift for the day, my right pole, hanging too low, caught the ground at the loading station and I broke its shaft. A tragic end for my lovely black poles that I adored, upsetting me even more. 

So it’s with the two broken parts of my pole into my right hand that I ended up my ski day, victim of another chain reaction on skis. Poor me!

No comments: