Thursday, March 23, 2023

Behind bars?

In Park City, locals tend not to put down the bar when they ride chairlifts, unless they have a small kid riding with them or a serious case of fear of heights. 

That can be traced to an early time, when I settled in town, close to 40 years ago, when many of the chairlifts weren’t even equipped with safety bars. Since then, we’ve been used to be sitting up in the airs in total freedom, without any physical restraint. 

It’s easy to tell if you ride the lift when the person next to you asks for the bar down (if they’re rude, slam it down on you without warning), it’s probably that they’re not from Park City or the surrounding area. 

Often times, these days, the bars are receptacle for small stickers, most of them cursing Vail Resorts, but from time coming from out-of-state visitors and communicating all kinds of messages. 

 
That’s exactly what happened to me on Tuesday. As I was riding alone, with the bar obviously up, I noticed a sticker on it. Always curious, I pulled it down to discover that sticker unwittingly making a pun on bars of all…
I loved it and in my mind’s eye, it conjured a picture of Donald Trump… incarcerated!

No comments: