Saturday, August 31, 2024

Brains or Guts?

I don’t know about you, but when it comes to my thoughts, feelings and emotions, it seems I get these most from listening to my belly that I feel, is more nervously connected to my body and give more clues, than from my brain which feels more like a cold, factual computer. Am I wrong to think that way? I’m not minimizing the role of the brain in any way, but I feel that the rest of my body often provide strong signals about my life as I live it. 

We talk a lot about our “gut feelings” and that’s true. Our digestive system, is often referred to as our "second brain," and has been shown to influence our emotions. For example, stress can lead to digestive issues, and certain foods can affect our mood. 

Sure, the brain ultimately processes and interprets these signals, but we feel these elements deep into our bodies. When it comes to emotional response, the brain's limbic system, including the amygdala and the hippocampus, is said to play a key role in processing out emotions, both consciously and unconsciously. 

Science also tells us that our prefrontal cortex, located in the front of the brain, is responsible for higher-order cognitive functions like planning, decision-making, and self-control. It’s from there that we sort out our emotions and formulate our choices. 

This said, I still believe that the rest of my body can provide valuable cues about my emotional state and the brains are ultimately letting me know in their own way the interpretation of those feelings. To me, they’re better messengers than what happens between my own two ears. 

What about yourself?

No comments: