Tuesday, February 23, 2021

My life’s big regret

If I’m lucky to have very few regrets, I have one that’s enormous. It’s been not to have kept a journal from the day I was able to write and still remembered enough of my early life when I didn’t know how to put it down to paper. 

I always try to remember things, but they seem to be drifting farther and farther away, to the point that I often make a conscious effort to committing them to writing them down now, while there still is a figment of freshness and truth to them! 

Since around 2007, I have begun recording the daily facts and moods of my life and unfortunately, if I had kept much tighter and certain memories starting from that point on, the preceding ones have, and are still fading away, victim of the corrosive effect to time. 

There is no question that as years pass, memories become much duller except for those triggered by huge emotional upheavals, and still, these get corrupted too with the passage of time. 

So, if I have an advice to give to anyone, it’s to start keeping a journal today, no matter what your age and stage in life are, and organize whatever represents your memories so you can retrieve them before there’s no good storage room left in your overcrowded brain!

No comments: