Sunday, February 14, 2021

Tree skiing and control

Skiing the trees can be super fun, especially on days when the weather or visibility are bad and when it’s snowing and blowing hard. 

Then, in that sheltered environment, especially if the terrain is steep, obstacles (trees, stumps, rocks) come super fast on the skier and skiing well requires a combination of high-level concentration, creative line planning, fast moves and constant control. 

The latter is extremely important as skiing the trees is rarely a “first-track” situation. In most cases they can be already many tracks, fast rounded ruts and a uniformly accelerated pace that lead to loss of control. 

That implies that there is no stop-and-go skiing, and as the name of the game implies, an interrupted series of turn during the whole run. That’s the way I still can strive to ski and the way I’m doing it when I’m skiing alone. 

The reason I bring the subject up, is that as I’m growing older I’m not as quick as I once was, and need to bring more control to my skiing, returning forward more completely, faster, and keeping up with the rhythm I’d like to maintain. 

This might translate on average into a slower pace, but that’s precisely what I must work on. 

Finally, if I’ve lost you with my convoluted comments, just ignore that blog!

No comments: