Sunday, February 7, 2021

Park City après-ski traffic nightmare

Friday saw a severe blizzard all over Park City, so I decided to stay close to home and drive to Park City Mountain (5 minutes away) for my afternoon skiing. 

It snowed hard all day, and when I got to the parking lot, I noticed more traffic than usual, plus the mess created by all that new snow, but was lucky enough to get a spot. 

Skiing was fabulous, there were huge crowds for a Friday, but I managed to ski in places where lines remained to a minimum. A superb day of fresh powder skiing, wind blowing and often time, zero-visibility, but that’s the way I love it. 

Following my wife recommendation, I wore my Descente long coat and stayed warm all day.

Returning to the car at 4:15 pm painted a different picture. 

It was total gridlock. Impossible to get out from the resort center and in spite of my seasoned bag of tricks I was stuck in place like the rest of the skiers and it took me a solid hour to get home, not to mention that when I got there, I had to clear a path for my car to get into the garage. 

There were cars everywhere, with California, Texas and tons of out-of-state plates. Covid-19 must create a special pent-up demand for skiing and this must be part the price we have to pay for our town notoriety!

No comments: