Monday, February 22, 2021

Ski racing and me…

I have not been watching any alpine ski race for beginning to end this winter as I had in the recent past. Perhaps, this is because we had no American World Cup events because of Covid-19, but also because there was no major, dominant champion to warrant my attention. 

For years, I was not much of a regular watcher of ski competitions. About 10 years ago, Miller, Ligety, Vonn and Shiffrin got me more interested, as well as Richard, a French skier from my hometown valley, and got me to become a more regular spectator again. 

When I could – because of a 8 hour time difference - I continued with sporadically watching the dual Hirscher-Kristofferson and Shiffrin dominant seasons, then this winter, I’ve only read the results and watched a few single runs by the day’s winner or some spectacular falls or save, like France’s Muzaton, and that was it.

Is my reaction a bit chauvinistic? Probably so. This said, I saved a lot of time, given the repetitive and uniform nature of ski racing, don’t feel to have missed much and will probably continue curtailing my ski racing screen time in future seasons!

No comments: