Saturday, February 6, 2021

Updated role-models

As we become much older, it’s not a bad idea to evolve our role models. 

My personal view is that I can relate much better now to older people as they’re able to show me the way into the last chapters of my life. This is why I become more interested how people my age, and older, are staying alive, managing their lives and making the very best out of the precious time they’ve left. 

I figure that I might glean a few good ideas that will help make my latter days on this planet more fun, productive and fulfilling. Sure, when we take the time to look for it, there are many excellent, older role models to follow. 

I can think of two of them at the moment; as you might expect, both are ski industry figures before anything else.

Émile Allais, from Megève, France, is one of them, he died in 2012 at age 100 and the other one is Klaus Obermeyer who just celebrated his 101st birthday last December. Both of them loved what they did, the mountains and skiing of course. 

They skied late in life, Allais was 90 when he broke his shoulder in a collision with a snowboarder, but didn’t give up, kept on skiing after recovering into his late 90s. 

As for Obermeyer, he said, on his 100th birthday, that he still skied and added that for him, skiing was now easier than walking!

No comments: