Thursday, November 26, 2009

Egg, sperm and Thanksgiving


I usually like to say something on this special day, but don't feel like writing platitudes or expressing thoughts that are common place. Yet, I believe that this American Holiday is quite unique and serves a great purpose in making us think what we ought to be thankful for. I've always thought it was a wonderful thing, just to be alive and to have “made it” so far into the world. Not just me and my family, but everyone who is breathing at this moment, on our wonderful planet.

I often think, however, that for me to put these words on paper, my parents had to couple at precisely the perfect time for that aggressive little sperm to fertilize the one possible egg. I've read that the odds for this to happen are 3 million to one and that's only the tip of the iceberg, because the same chain of event had to happen to all my forebears. That makes me dizzy to think about this, especially when I also realize that from the turn of the 13th century until today, we each have, mathematically speaking, approximately two and a half million direct ancestors! Of course, that's only the egg and sperm portion of the miracle. Today, I'm very thankful for thinking that far and feeling so lucky!

No comments: