Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Slip and fall

Walking is a very tame sport, right? Looks like it, at least on the “surface...” Two days ago, as our afternoon stroll was coming to its end and as we had almost dodged all the slippery patches of the roadway, I suddenly lost it as I wasn't properly paying attention. I slipped and couldn't do anything but fall, as elegantly as a 165 pound... elephant! The problem was that Evelyne and I were walking arm in arm and she got locked into me and had not other option than following me down onto the icy pavement. I just had hit a patch of black ice and kaboom!


We were both licking our wounds after we got back up; not a pretty sight. The act of falling is always humiliating and is one of these rare situations where the figurative meets the literal meaning. All my landing mass had been totally absorbed by my right little finger, while my better half fell on her right shoulder that has been bothering her for a long time. After a painful afternoon and evening we gradually felt better and realized, once more, that falling is never a good option and that it's not necessary to be perched on a mountain bike or sliding on boards to “feel the pain.” We learned that we need to be even more careful when we walk around our little neighborhood. We might say, “slip and learn!”

2 comments:

Teresa said...

You will not slip if you have enough spike bellow your shoe. If not, then you can add it externally. Walking aids can give your precise items whatever you need as accessories.

Go 11 said...

Thank you for the advice, Teresa!