Saturday, November 7, 2009

Want vs. need

Since I broke my mountain bike bell wen I fell, I had to replace it and yesterday morning went out to get a brand new one before our daily outing. I found a fancy yellow and pink bell that would not have been my first choice, but was among the few left-overs the store still had from its summer season. When I returned and dangled the brand new accessory in front of her eyes, my wife asked me if I had also bought one for her own bike. I said no, you don't NEED one.

Since, I'm always ahead, I'm the trailblazer and the only one who needs to warn other bikers or hikers of our impending arrival, before a blind corner or when we're in the woods. She was utterly disappointed and told me that she had – just the day before – requested a bell too for her own bike. She agreed that she didn't particularly NEED it, but she WANTED it, and me – the macho and overly pragmatic husband – had just denied her that basic wish under the guise that she didn't need it. That same day, I went to Jans to grab another copy of that all-important warning device. Now, I love that bell's contrasting color and the crystalline sound it makes; whenever I'll hear it, I'll remember forever the fundamental difference that exists between want and... need!

No comments: