Friday, November 6, 2009

Mountain bike: Don't fall!

Yesterday, I took my first spill of the year while mountain biking. Thanks god, I wasn't riding too fast but was also not paying enough attention to the turn I was in the middle of. Suddenly my rear wheel skidded and I went head over heels into the providential sagebrush that surrounded us. A few minor scratches and a broken bike bell were the only unpleasant results from that flight over the handlebar causing a brush with the native vegetation. In retrospect, I felt extremely lucky that no sharp rocks where hidden in the scrub; had that been the case, there would have been plenty of blood gushing out to color the incident.

It's also quite possible that if I had not been using pedal clips, I might have altogether avoided the fall; an important safety feature sacrificed on the altar of performance? Something to seriously ponder, when at my age, falling from a mountain bike is never a good option...

No comments: