Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Running traction

Yesterday morning was the second snow day of the season, with enough snow left on the roads for traction between running shoes and ground to become significant. For about 30 years, I've been a Nike user, except for two when I tried Adidas. Since Nike fits my narrow foot a little bit better I returned to the American brand.
This time, the last two pairs of shoes I've used have prematurely worn out in the toe area, where the critical “quick” occurs and with these two bold areas, the result is not pleasant on snowy road as the impulse is somewhat lagging. This is odd; usually the heel – which I'd call “brake” – wears out much, much faster than the toe - the “accelerator.” So yesterday morning I got a full workout while running. I probably lost a third of my efficiency, especially on the steep and that made for a healthy, strenuous exercise. That's it, my next pair will again be Adidas; sorry Nike but you've lost traction with me!

No comments: