Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Starting a new business

For the past few days, I've been thinking on an idea a friend of mine shared with me in order to start a business together. Like any new business idea worth considering, it's original, has some potential and could be fun to tackle. The process of researching around it has re-awakened a subject that's always been dear to my heart but that I've never really could bring into my life. Most definitely because I lacked the right idea or that I was too far ahead of my time when I was tempted to make a move.

This brings me to say that we need to have a profound faith in an idea before investing one's personal time, energy and money. The concept has to be able to solve or improve something in appreciable ways. It should also be unique, new, original and it chances of success should be real, even if they represent a 50-50 wager. The entire project ought also to be very exciting to sustain all the work, doubt, disillusions and other pesky problems that will not fail to pop up along the way. Most importantly though, its first result or response at the time it's introduce should be a resounding success.

There isn't any room for early, dismal failures and for single or multiple “resurrections” with novel ideas. Last, but not least, the concept must be timely; as Jean-Claude Killy's famous Rolex ad said, “in sports like in business, timing's everything...” If all these ingredient are present, it doesn't really matter what the economic mood is at the moment and this might be a sufficient indication that it's time to jump in!

No comments: