Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Is daylight saving time worth it?

On Sunday morning, I followed the twice-a-year routine of changing our clocks throughout the house, except for our cell phones, thermostats and my watch that did it by themselves.

Like millions of people I hate doing it and can't understand why our government still forces us to.

 I've always wondered about its cost and after doing some research, I found a study by Chmura Economics & Analytic that claimed that daylight saving time costs the U.S. more than $430 million a year.

I even found that a 2008 report by the Independent Institute claimed the annual costs for changing clocks twice a year could be as high as $1.7 billion.

The Chmura’s study also claimed that changing the time can lead to an increase in heart attacks, workplace injuries, and even more wasted time in offices where employees aimlessly browse the internet. Of course, it also affects our sleep and our circadian rhythms, adding drowsiness and stressing our cardiovascular system.

Daylight saving time was first introduced in the United States during World War I, and it returned during World War II, when it was called “war time.” It wasn’t formalized until 1966, with the passage of the Uniform Time Act.

If there's only single thing I'm in agreement with Trump, it's that it is now time to kick that stupid habit out of our lives!

No comments: