Thursday, March 7, 2019

The consequence of events we don't control

In my previous blog, I lamented about a car accident that might have changed the course of my career and life.

Might is an important word, because, I would have had to pass the “Capacitaire” exam, which is never certain and in my case, had likely probabilities in the 65 per cent range.

So, assuming that we had made it to that ski test, and I had pass, I would have become eligible to start teaching at the Morzine ski school where I obtain the confirmation that I was a skier of a good enough technical level to take the exam on the basis of a recently obtained “Chamois d'Argent” pin (akin Nastar's).

Morzine just like Park City, with Deer Valley and Park City Mountain, had two distinct and separate ski-schools, Avoriaz and Morzine and I was thus expected to teach in Morzine, having obtained my exam affidavit from that ski-school.

Had I obtained my “Capacitaire” I never would have entered the Avoriaz ski-school, but would have taught a Morzine's.

This outcome would have sped up my certification by at least a year and got me the “Auxiliaire” level earlier.

With it, I would have – as I wanted – got a teaching job in North America and the rest is the “other fork on the road” which could have taken me on a totally different career path.

Do I regret it? Not at all, because it's so uncertain and sort of pie in the sky compared, to where I find myself today, but my life would certainly have taken a drastically different path. Perhaps this “arresting” collision was a blessing in disguise?

No comments: