Sunday, March 24, 2019

“Relaxed” skiing takes training...

Over my many hours spent on skis, I've discovered the merits of “relaxed” skiing and have tried to incorporate them as much as I could into my technique.

I found it to be relatively easy when skiing is super-easy, that is, on moderate, open and unencumbered groomed runs, but as soon as the terrain becomes more difficult, a relaxed form of skiing is never that easy.

Being able to ski in a stress-free manner economizes more energy and allows for easier and fatigue-free skiing.

The benefit is clear, less tension frees the skier to accomplish more without undue strain. The problem with this theory appears when conditions become more challenging and demand more concentration.

Concentration induces mental stress that also tense muscles and runs contrary to a skier's attempt to be smooth, light and super-efficient.

I've found that, over time, a disciplined practice is the best tool available to minimize the side-effects of concentration and to bring the whole benefits of stress-free skiing.

Try it! 

No comments: