Monday, October 12, 2020

My dream car at 18

In the five years or so preceding my getting a driver license, I knew with certainty what my dream car would be. 

Since I was also poor and pragmatic, ownership of such a car came with a major caveat, which was the kind of job that could make possible such an ownership. Well my tastes were far removed from E-type Jaguar, Porsche or Ferrari.

I was much more down to earth, and was aiming to own a Citroën DS-19. To me, this was “la crème de la crème”, front-wheel drive, air-suspension, futuristic styling. 

Back in these days (we’re talking 1966), I figured out that I needed to earn 923 Francs a week (about $185 of these days dollars) to afford owning such a car. To do so, I’d be a manufacturer’s rep or something of the sort. 

As for my fall back plan, it was a Morris or Austin Mini. I liked these small British cars too and they were also front-wheel drive, almost every bit as revolutionary as Citroën, plus would be much more affordable! 

That said, my assertiveness wasn’t strong enough to generate the desired level of sales income and I had to settle on another Citroën, the lowly 2cv!

No comments: