Wednesday, October 21, 2020

My short political career

One could think that a political junkie like me must have held political office in his life. That’s correct, but only once. That happened around the early to mid 70s, before I quit ski instructing, I was asked to be on my small village municipal council. Its total population at the time was about 560 people. 

I guess that, from the outside, the person who asked me to join thought I was either smart or had some potential. One thing was certain, I woefully lacked self-confidence, especially within my home town, because I believe of my upbringing, and this wasn’t going to help me. 

Because of this, I wasn’t very comfortable in refusing to participate, so I acquiesced and before I knew it, was a new-minted village councilman. I don’t remember clearly what my work was while I was a local politician; I remember that I participated in some commissions, but can’t recall which one. 

This happened when the Avoriaz ski resort was actively talking with the municipality about installing lifts over its land, so there was plenty of critical developments going on. Yet, I felt so uneasy in my role that I never fully gave it my all. 

That wasn’t the kind of endeavor that I like in a place I felt good about myself. I also felt this kind of assignment was tied into so many rules, too complicated, too slow, and the whole thing wasn’t my cup of tea at all. 

I was in fact delighted when I resigned soon thereafter to moved to Nevers, a French town 5 hours and 30 minutes away, to take a corporate job at Look ski bindings and never turned back, as I never considered any public office either following that experience...

No comments: