Tuesday, October 13, 2020

My Neanderthal side

Around a decade ago, my family and I got involved with a DNA testing program and occasionally, I’m asked to take a look at my new “relatives”, meaning folks whose DNA is close to ours, and other related information. 

Like that one, telling me I inherited a small amount of DNA from my Neanderthal ancestors. In fact I have more Neanderthal DNA than 74% of their other database members. If you don’t remember, Neanderthals were prehistoric humans who interbred with our ancestors before disappearing around 40,000 years ago. Even though my Neanderthal ancestry only accounts for less than about 2 percent of my total DNA, I still have some influencing my traits. For instance, I have 3 variants associated with being less likely to have a fear of heights, which explains why I feel very comfortable standing up on roofs or working on ladders and – I suppose – sliding on skis or riding my bike. 

While they may have looked a little different, Neanderthals were probably a lot like you and me. They tended to have slightly larger brains than modern humans, and knew how to make fire, use tools and probably speak sometime. They were also artists, creating jewelry and art like the red-pigment paintings that decorate the walls of certain caves. 
 
The only bad news is that DNA inherited from Neanderthals, like mine, may increase my risk of catching Covid-19, but since I don’t attend Trump rallies I should be okay. Finally, while Neanderthal remains have been found close to Africa, there is no evidence that they’ve lived there, but that won’t prevent me for supporting “Black Lives Matter!”

No comments: